20070428

Gambling

Can I put my whole life, boyfriend and university life on black please! Actually no wait 5p might be a better bet.

I'm not a big gambler but at the same time I don't think it's wrong. I just think that many gambles are not worth it. I do obviously have gambles like insurance or buying things at the risk they will be on sale the next day.

I don't play the lottery or scratchcards or bet on sports. I think that I would probably make more money buy just putting the money I would of bet in a jar and save it up. I mean over the year if I played the lottery every week I would get £52, probably more than how much I would win unless I was incredible lucky. I have studied a lot of maths/stats in the past so I guess I have a good idea about chances and when you consider you have more chance of being hit by lightning than winning the lottery (and I'm not expecting to be hit by lightning anytime soon) the chances of me becoming a millionaire seem very slim. For information on how to increase your chances see this BBC page.

Everyone makes small bets though, it is surely of no worldly consequence whether I lose a bet to my boyfriend and have to make him breakfast. I can understand why some people would think gambling in all forms would be bad though because there is a risk of losing everything. Some people are lucky like Ashley Revell but others aren't. There is also the risk of getting addicted and addictions are generally seen as bad.

I assume people just do it for the thrill or they think they have a significant chance. Everyone dreams about being rich and as they say money makes the world go round.

No comments: