20070501

discrimination (including positive)




Positive discrimination is my pet hate. Two years ago before I started university I was looking at becoming a primary school teacher. I looked at taster courses at local universities to make sure that course was for me but I couldn't go to any of them. Half of them were for ethnic minorities and although I was technically an ethnic minority in my college it doesn't count. The other half were for single parents. So to get on a taster course I either needed to change the colour of my skin or have a baby damn quick! (wonders vaguely if they would actual check if someone had a baby if they claimed to be a single parent)

All in all discrimination is generally bad because it prioritises one person over another for a reason they are unable to change but discrimination still happens. I think people discriminate due to prejudices, they simple believe one type of person is inferior or they do it subconsciously. I think positive discrimination isn't seen as bead because it is 'readdressing the balance'.

But is discrimination bad? One of my family members has said that they don't like gay people or black people and therefore would chose not to spend time with them by choice. They have no hatred for them just would prefer to spend time with 'their own kind' (white straight people). Is this bad? We make choices everyday and have preferences on most things. Is it bad to prefer to be with a certain type of people. I think probably not, up to a point. I think that personal choice is fine but I don't think anyone deserves to be at a disadvantage because of peoples prejudices.

It's bad to have prejudices but nearly everyone has them. Maybe its instinctual.

No comments: