20070204

The first handout!

Last night (just before bed) I read the handout Portnoy's complaint by Philip Roth. As I should of been able to guess from the cover picture it was about masturbation.

Before I started reading it I already had the idea in my head that in most circumstances masturbation is a healthy and good thing. In my family it was never a topic of conversation so I always feel like masturbation is something that should be kept secret too. If it is secret and not talked about randomly then it can be good for our health.
I have mainly got these ideas from general advice sites I like browsing for example The Site.org or Teenage Health Freak. Both of which say it's perfectly normal and healthy.

However when I read the last paragraph of the handout I changed my mind (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it it yet and I think it is better to read it directly). As I said before masturbation in secret is fine, in my opinion. When it starts to affect other people, especially without then knowing it I think that takes it a bit too far!

As for masturbation that doesn't that is not meant to affect others (like privately whilst in a relationship) I am still undecided.

No comments: